Tattler Reusable Canning Lids & Seals are one of our sponsors here on Country Living in A Cariboo Valley. Their product is fantastic – I love using their lids and seals. Instead of having to buy new canning seals every year, I can reuse the Tattler seals. There are people who have been using the SAME seals for over 20 years. Now that is impressive.
They are made in the USA so you can buy them knowing that you are supporting an American company. They are also BPA free, with FDA approved materials.
Using Tattler lids and seals is a bit different than using those metal seals. Even though the instructions state that you are supposed to screw the band on LOOSELY before processing, people have not been doing this. Apparently, they are overtightening the band.
In light of this, Tattler has put out new instructions. If you are home canning your own food for your family, it is up to YOU to ensure you are doing everything correctly and “by the book”.
Would you home can food that has spoiled? No of course you wouldn’t! Would you just reuse dirty jars for a fresh load of canning? No of course you wouldn’t!
You do everything you can to ensure that your homecanning is as safe as it can possibly be. There is no such thing as being “too anal” when it comes to canning. So, when you are using the Tattler Lids & Seals, be sure to FOLLOW their instructions exactly.
Here’s the new instructions – be sure you follow them!
Tattler Reusable Canning Lids – Instructions for Use
1. Inspect top of jar for cracks and nicks.
2. Wash, rinse and sterilize jars. Scald lids and rubber rings. Leave in water until ready to use.
3. Fill jars as indicated per canning instructions for that food type.
4. Wipe top of jar after filling. Place lid and rubber ring combination on jar.
5. Screw band on jar loosely. Center lid on jar and hold in place with finger while tightening the metal screw band finger-tip tight. DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN. Product must be allowed to vent during processing.
6. Process as per instructions for various foods.
7. TIGHTEN METAL BAND FIRMLY IMMEDIATELY UPON REMOVAL FROM CANNER.
8. When jars have cooled, remove metal band and lift gently on the lid to determine if any failure has occurred. Sealed jars may be stored without metal bands if desired.
9. When removing lid, gently insert dull side of table knife (or similar object) between rubber and lid or jar to release the seal – DO NOT USE SHARP KNIFE.
10. Wash plastic lids and rubber rings, rinse, dry and store for future use. Do not save any rubber ring which is cut or deformed.
(The above came directly from Tattler Reusable Canning Lids.) Bookmark this page if you want to have it for reference when you are canning this year!